Learn how to install Red Hat Satellite 6
Red Hat Satellite 6 Administration (RH403) is a lab-based course that explores the concepts and methods necessary for successful large-scale management of Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® systems. Course participants will learn how to install Red Hat Satellite 6 on a server and populate it with software packages.
Duration: 4 days
This course is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 and Red Hat Satellite 6.
Students will use Red Hat Satellite to manage the software development life cycle of a subscribed host and its configuration, and learn how to provision hosts integrated with software and Puppet configuration management upon deployment.
Course content summary
- Install Red Hat Satellite 6.
- Red Hat Network organizations, locations, users and roles.
- Manage software with Red Hat Satellite environments and content views.
- Create custom RPM packages.
- Use Red Hat Satellite to configure hosts with Puppet.
- Provision hosts with integrated software and configuration management.
- Implement Metal-as-a-Service (MaaS) with Satellite discovery and provisioning of unprovisioned hosts.
Audience and prerequisites
Audience for this course
- Senior Red Hat Enterprise Linux system administrators responsible for the management of multiple servers
Prerequisites for this course
- Recommend having a Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) certification or equivalent experience
- Have Red Hat Satellite 5 experience
Impact on the organization
This course is intended to develop the skills needed to more efficiently design, configure, test, and deploy computer systems within an organization. Doing so will reduce unexpected downtime of systems and facilitate more efficient deployment of new systems, applications and features.
Red Hat has created this course in a way intended to benefit our customers, but each company and infrastructure is unique, and actual results or benefits may vary.
Impact on the individual
As a result of attending this course, students should be able to leverage the software development life-cycle process to plan, create, test, and provision host systems within an organization.
Students should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Installation of Red Hat Satellite 6
- Software life-cycle management of software used to provision and maintain configured hosts within a controlled production environment
Red Hat Satellite 6 installation
Install Red Hat Satellite 6 on a server and populate it with Red Hat Enterprise Linux software content.
Manage users and hosts across organizations and locations
Effectively control user access for Red Hat Satellite administration.
Red Hat Satellite client registration
Register hosts to a Red Hat Satellite server, both interactively and automatically.
Manage software deployment through the software development life cycle
Control which packages hosts can install and which updates are propagated to hosts and evaluate host deviations from corporate standards.
Build RPM packages
Create RPM packages for deployment of programs and files on client systems.
Deploy custom software using Red Hat Satellite
Incorporate non-Red Hat software packages into a Red Hat Satellite framework.
Manage system configurations with Puppet
Create and populate a Puppet repository within a Red Hat Satellite framework.
Standardize system configurations with Red Hat Satellite 6
Configure hosts using Puppet.
Deploy hosts with Satellite server
Deploy and provision hosts using PXE.
Configuration of Satellite server for enterprise system deployment
Configure host provisioning for integration with software and configuration management and discover unprovisioned host and provision-discovered hosts.
Recommended next course
Red Hat Certified Specialist in Deployment and Systems Management (EX403) exam
Demonstrate your knowledge, skills, and ability to use Red Hat products, including Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® and Red Hat Satellite Server, to deploy and manage systems in an efficient, scalable, replicable, and reliable manner.
Configuration Management with Puppet (DO405)
Learn to configure Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts in DevOps environment using Puppet.
Red Hat Certified Specialist in Deployment and Systems Management exam (EX405)
Demonstrate your skills, knowledge, and abilities to automate configuration management with Puppet and Red Hat Enterprise Satellite 6.
Configuration Management with Puppet with exam (DO406)
Learn to configure Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts in DevOps environment using Puppet and take the accompanying exam to demonstrate your skills and knowledge to manage Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems using Puppet and Red Hat Satellite Server.
We currently offer several courses that cover different versions of Red Hat Satellite:
- Red Hat Enterprise Deployment and Systems Management (RH401) that is based on Red Hat Satellite Server 5 and older
- Red Hat Enterprise Deployment and Systems Management with exam (RH402) that is based on Red Hat Satellite Server 5 and older and includes the Red Hat Certified Specialist in Enterprise Application Server Administration exam (EX401) based on Red Hat Satellite Server 5 and older
- Red Hat Satellite 6 Administration (RH403) that is based on Red Hat Satellite Server 6 and newer
- Red Hat Satellite 6 Administration with exam (RH404) is based on Red Hat Satellite Server 6 and newer and includes Red Hat Certified Specialist in Deployment and Systems Management (EX403) exam based on Red Hat Satellite Server 6 and newer
Make sure that you choose the correct course before enrolling. If you have any questions, please contact one of our training specialists.