Duration 2 days
The Veritas Backup Exec 15: Differences FP1 to FP3 course is designed for Veritas Technical Support, Customers, and Partners. This class discusses the installation methods, licensing, and the new features and enhancements in Backup Exec 15 (Feature Pack 1 – Feature Pack 3)
Who should attend
This course is for is for customers, system engineers, consultants, support staff, and applicable partners who need to install, deploy, configure, manage, administer, and troubleshoot Backup Exec 15 (Feature Packs).
You should have attended the Veritas Backup Exec 15: Administration (ILT/VA) or the Veritas Backup Exec 15: Differences course.
This course includes practical, hands-on lab exercises that enable you to test your new skills and begin to transfer them to your working environment. Additionally, assessment items at the end of each lesson test your knowledge and comprehension of the information provided.
On the completion of this course, you will be able to:
- List the sources from where Backup Exec 15 and the
- Feature Packs can be downloaded.
- State how to download and install Backup Exec 15.
- Explain the license expiration error message enhancements.
- Describe the improved runtime of a post-backup
- catalog job.
- Explain the Backup Exec support for IP-Less
- Database Availability Groups.
- Describe how to backup and restore an IP-Less DAG.
- List the Exchange backup enhancements.
- State the steps to configure the preferred server only backup option.
- Describe the need for and benefits of configuration validation.
- Explain the functionality of the Configuration Tasks widget.
- Explain the Backup Exec support for cloud-based storage.
- Configure a cloud storage device in Backup Exec.
- List the backup and restore options available when using cloud-based storage.
- Troubleshoot common S3 connector issues.
- Describe the Backup Exec support for Microsoft Windows 10.
- List the key differences between virtual-based and agent-based backups.
- State the features of the Virtual Machine Backups widget.
- Describe the changes made to the Backup and Restore tab
- for virtual machines.
- Describe the changes made to the backup workflow for virtual machines.
- Explain how the new Microsoft incremental backup for
- Hyper-V server 2012 works.
- Explain what are differencing disks.
- Describe the resource prioritization options prior to Backup
- Exec 15 FP2.
- Explain the fundamentals of the tag as business-critical feature.
- Configure the tag as a business-critical feature.
- Explain the default time modification enhancement.
- State the changes to alert categories and the alert job failure messages when a scheduled logon account check fails.
- Describe the Always on Debug logging enhancements.
- Recall the BEDB installation behavior for previous versions and examine the BEDB installation behavior in Backup Exec 15 FP3.
- Recognize the installation log changes with the VC runtime links for installation failure messages.
- Explain the necessity to upgrade to OpenSSL 1.0.1.
- Describe the OpenSSL FIPS versions and the backward compatibility of OpenSSL 1.0.1.
- Explain the need to upgrade to SHA-2 SSL Certificates.
- Describe the SHA-2 SSL Certificates version and the backward compatibility of SHA-2 SSL Certificates.
- View the updated Environment Checker and Job Log messages.
- List the documents updated as a result of the SHA-2 Certificate upgrade.
- Explain the necessity to upgrade to TLS 1.2.
- Describe the TLS protocol versions and the backward compatibility of TLS 1.2.
- State the enhancements made to the DEK export and the import functionality.
- State the advantages of Always-on Debug Logs.
- Explain the internal working of the Always-on Debug Logs.
- State the previous DLM Debug log deficiencies.
- Describe the improvements made to the DLM Debug log in
- Backup Exec 15 FP1.
- Describe the LTO Device enhancement made in Backup Exec 15 FP1.
- Describe Backup Exec 15 and Backup Exec 15 FP1 CAS recovery from MBES.
- State the rationale for discontinuing the following features and the changes made in Backup Exec 15 FP1:
o Backup Exec Archiving option
o Small Business Edition
Detailed Course Outline
Veritas Backup Exec 15: Differences FP1 to FP3
- About this course
- Education and support resources
Installing Backup Exec 15 Feature Packs
- Backup Exec 15 download options
- Backup Exec 15 Feature Packs download options
- Upgrade to Backup Exec 15
Licensing and Help Enhancements
- License Expiration Error Message Enhancements
- Backup Exec Help Enhancements
Microsoft Exchange Enhancements
- What’s new in Exchange 2016
- Backup Exec support for IP-less Database Availability Groups
- Backing up an IP-Less DAG
- Restoring an IP-Less DAGs
- Troubleshooting Exchange issues
Backup Exec Configuration Validation
- Explain the fundamentals of Configuration Validation.
- Configuration Task Widget
o Home tab: Configuration Task Widget
o Configuration Task Widget: Status
o Home icon: Changes
o New configuration tasks window
o Hiding the configuration tasks widget
- Viewing configuration tasks and links
o Notification Recipients: email and text notifications
o Data Discovery
o Database Encryption key
o Logon Accounts: Credentials Not Tested
o Storage Space
o Media and Inventory
o Storage Enabled or Disabled
o Services check
Support for Cloud-based Support
- Seagate Storage Cloud S3 Connector: Basics
- Backup Exec support for Seagate Storage Cloud S3 Connector
- Backing up data to the S3 Cloud
- Restoring data from S3 Cloud Storage Device
- Cloud storage device: BEMCLI commands
- Troubleshooting S3 connector issues
Support for Microsoft Windows 10
- Windows 10: Overview
- Backup Exec support for Windows 10
- Virtual Machine Backups
o Why focus on virtual machine backups?
o Virtual-based and Agent-based backups
o Virtual-based backups: Typical usage scenarios
o Creating Virtual-based backup jobs
o Agent-based backups: Typical usage scenarios
o Creating Agent-based backup jobs
- Virtual Machine Backups Widget
o Virtual Machine Backups Widget: Overview
o Backup method calculations
o Known limitations
- Backup and Restore tab changes
o New Hypervisor Column
o Adding a Hypervisor Host
o Browsing virtual machines
o Lower Panel for virtual machine selection
- Virtual machine backup workflow: Changes
o Back Up Virtual Machine dialog box
o Selecting a virtual machine
o Upper panel virtual machine selection
o New virtual host identification screen
- Microsoft Incremental backup for Server 2012: Fundamentals
o New Microsoft Incremental backup for Windows Servers 2012
o Differencing disks
o How the Microsoft Incremental backup works
- Backup Exec support for Microsoft Incremental
o Faster processing method and Standard processing method
o How the Faster processing method works
o Requirements and prerequisites
o Configuring the Faster Processing Method for new installations
o Faster processing method and differential jobs
o Backup method selected after upgrading to
o Backup Exec 15 FP3
o Upgrading existing incremental jobs
o Switching between faster and standard processing methods
o Configuring the Faster Processing Method for CASO environments
- Virtual Backups: PageFile.sys Omitted
o What is PageFile.sys o Backup Exec 15 FP3: Skipping the pagefile.sys
o Performance improvements
o Job Log details
o Limitations of skipping the pagefile.sys
Tag as Business-Critical Option
- Resource prioritization in Backup Exec
- Tag as Business-Critical Option: Fundamentals
- Configuring the Tag as Business-Critical feature
- Viewing Job Logs and Alerts for Business-Critical jobs
- Viewing Business Critical information and reports
Performance and Security Enhancements
- Scheduled logon account check enhancements
- Always On Debug Logging enhancements
- BEDB Install and upgrade enhancements
- VC Runtime Links for Installation
- Upgrading to OpenSSL 1.0.1 and Transport Layer Security1.2
- SHA-2 SSL Certificate Migration
- Database Encryption Key Enhancements
Miscellaneous Enhancements and End of Life Items
- Always On Debug Logging
- Data Lifecycle Management Debug Log Enhancement
- LTO device enhancements:
- Offline Central Admin Server Restore from a Managed Backup Exec Server
- End of Life: Archiving Options
- End of Life: Small Business Edition
- End of Life: ThreatCon
Veritas Backup Exec 15: Differences FP1 to FP3